The family we’re raised in impacts every stage of our lives – both positively and negatively. From our habits to holiday traditions and cultural and religious beliefs, our families are constantly shaping who we are and how we experience the world. Even when we try our best, families may not always be functioning well to support each family member. When conflicts, communication failures, and other issues arise, your family may not be prepared to navigate this difficult course, but the Manatee Associates of Counseling & Assessment team can help with family counseling in Palmetto, FL.
Who Can Benefit from Family Therapy?
While any family can benefit from coming together to develop communication skills and conflict resolution with a therapist, counseling for families has proven especially beneficial for families with one or more family member who is struggling with substance use disorders, eating disorders, and other destructive behavioral issues. Additionally, it can be beneficial to visit us for family therapy in the following situations:
- Helping your family navigate divorce or blending families
- Working through parent-child conflicts
- Solving disputes between siblings
- Healing and moving forward after domestic violence
- Grieving and recovering after the loss of a loved one
- Navigating a life transition (move to a new place, parent job loss, health diagnosis, etc.)
What Happens During Family Therapy?
Like many of our therapy services, we want to create achievable and meaningful goals for your family’s time in therapy. The whole family should be involved in the process of establishing these goals. Then, during your therapy sessions, you’ll find ways to make progress toward achieving these goals. Between visits, your therapist will give you “homework” to build upon the skills you’re learning in the office. Some of the strategies and outcomes you’ll work toward in family therapy include:
- Setting and maintaining appropriate boundaries
- Improving communication among family members
- Creating a cohesive and functional family unit
- Understanding the roles of individual family members and how you can work together to solve problems and overcome challenges
- Developing empathy and understanding
- Reducing conflict and improving conflict resolutions skills
Who Offers Family Therapy?
If you are ready to build a happier, healthier family unit, one of our counselors would love to be part of your family’s therapy journey. You can learn more about each of our therapists who offer family counseling sessions by clicking on their individual links below.
Let’s Get Started!
We know it can be intimidating to take this next step to schedule an appointment with our team. You may have had negative experiences with therapy in the past, you may be worried about stigma surrounding counseling, or you may just be worried. We get it. The good news is we can help you put some of those worries aside and start feeling like yourself again. When you’re ready, the Manatee Associates of Counseling & Assessment team is here for you.